Monday, October 25, 2010

The Slow Lane

Trail marker, Ghost Ranch
I've been called something I've never been called before: a slow person. I was in line at the grocery store, and the man in front of me had a form to fill out; that took some time. My transaction was a bit complicated, too. As I was picking up my bags I heard the cashier ask the man behind me how he was. "Not so good," he said. "There are all these slow people in front me!"

I almost laughed out loud. Back in college I used to say, "The fast lane is not for me." Yet in many ways the fast lane is exactly where I've lived.

True confession: years ago, before I got married and had kids, I racked up three speeding tickets in one year. As a result I received a harsh note from the DMV telling me that I was "a danger to yourself and others." DMV required my presence at a special session for people like me. The room was full of the broadest cross-section of society I have ever been privy to in terms of age, ethnicity and profession. All of us traveling in the fast lane, a danger to ourselves and those around us.

The officer leading the session presented us with terrifying facts about highway fatalities. As we silently absorbed the information, the truth of the letter we had received began to sink in. But what I recall more than anything is the officer's fury at the people he pulled over who, when he asked them how fast they thought they were driving, simply said, "I don't know."

"You have to know how fast you're going!," he shouted at us.

I've thought about that statement often. I keep a much more careful eye on my speedometer now, but I don't always keep an eye on my other movements through the day. I often speed from one task or thought to another, hardly taking a breath, completely unaware of how fast I'm going.

"To move slowly and deliberately through the world, attending to one thing at a time, strikes us as radically subversive,  even un-American," says Belden Lane. "That is our poverty." We are, perhaps, inspired by the story of the naturalist Louis Agassiz who said he spent one summer traveling--only to get half-way across his back yard.  But we could never imagine moving that slowly ourselves.

Yet as I've experimented with moving slightly more slowly over these past few months I find myself actually enjoying it. I identify with other slow people and I have more patience for anyone who can't get around too quickly.  The slow lane is not as boring as I feared. In fact, it has a lot to offer.

The fast part of me isn't gone. I can hear my own voice in the voice of the impatient man at the grocery store. I used to be impatient with slow people and sometimes I still am. I used to be impatient with myself and sometimes I still am.

My shadow on the labyrinth,
St. Francis Cathedral Basilica, Santa Fe
But I'm developing a greater appreciation for the wisdom of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, who advised us to cultivate a patient trust in ourselves and in the slow work of God.  We are impatient in everything to reach the end without delay, he said. The intermediate stages are essential, however. The key is not to force anything but to trust that our own ideas will mature over time, through circumstance and grace. And to trust that in the process God's hand is slowly forming a new spirit within us.

It's slow going, but I'm starting to trust.

2 comments:

  1. I guess I was rushing when I posted a comment here earlier! It never showed up and now of course I'm too frazzled to remember what I said. But I want to post a poem I saw today--talk about living in the fast lane. Phew.


    Your Punishment in Hell

    Someone will douse a cobra in gasoline,
    light the sucker, and shove it headfirst
    down your throat. It'll speed straight
    through your esophagus, unfurl
    its hood to fill your stomach
    then begin to strike and strike and strike
    and strike and strike: fangs pierce
    your stomach, venom pours in,
    the little burn of incipient ulcers
    grows quick, paralysis sets in.
    Your lungs stop before your brain,
    before your hand, which lifts
    to your mouth the plastic-lidded
    paper cup holding the caramel
    macchiato cappuccino with a double
    shot of espresso and frothed soy milk
    topped with two shakes of cinnamon
    and no, NO (yes, you said no twice)
    sugar that was made for you
    slowly, while I, already running late,
    waited behind you for a simple,
    already-made black coffee.
    You will lose all motion before
    that drink reaches your mouth,
    but you recover and the drink,
    strangely, has vanished, and barrista
    and cobra-douser-slash-lighter do it all again
    and again. I know this because,
    for my angry impatience,
    I am behind you in line in hell
    forever, the pot of black coffee
    behind the counter steaming,
    turning, I know, bitter.

    by Gary Leising
    Fastened to a Dying Animal
    Pudding House Press, 2010

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, isn't it amazing-- and the quick work of God--that your wonderful meditations have echoed words said or sent to me by others. Everything works together in concert...and maybe our perception of the speed by which it unfolds is like the 1,000 years/1 day analogy of Scripture.

    ReplyDelete