Friday, September 24, 2010

Considering the Lily

Consider the lily. That's what the screen on my new cell phone says, above a picture of a daylily from the garden in front of my house. My old cell phone said, "Consider the lilies," but there wasn't room for all those letters on my upgrade. So I'm down to reflecting on a single lily.

I am trying to do one thing at a time these days, so the modification of Jesus' wise counsel fits. Slowing down is the great gift--and challenge--of having the freedom to establish my own daily rhythm. I can do one thing at time. When I pray, I pray. When I walk the dog, I walk the dog. When I visit with a friend, I visit with a friend.

It's not always easy to be fully present and focused.  I'm used to multi-tasking and running behind schedule at least half the time. I still feel the pull of that rushed, always-plugged-in existence. A recent study says that it takes three days to unplug completely. But that's if you're out in the wilderness. How long does it take when you're in your own house? I'll let you know.

God created us with minds that work better when we turn our complete attention to the task, the person or the project in front of us.  One at a time. The lilies are gone now, but I'm going to practice by shutting off my cell phone and considering the leaves--I mean leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment