Wednesday, November 10, 2010

In Transition






"Everything changes in the next day's light," sings Steve Forbert in his poignant song,  "Autumn This Year." As leaves fall to the ground like radiant beacons of impermanence, it's hard not to be aware of changes from one day to the next. In the natural world--and in life. 


"Let me guess: you're in transition,"
said the leader of the Intuition seminar to a room full of people she had never met.  The Kripalu Yoga Center presenter, Aruni Nan Futuronsky, was right. We were all in some kind of transition. In our relationships with loved ones, in our callings, in our own bodies.

I was transitioning into these precious three months of renewal when I attended that seminar. Now I'm transitioning out of sabbatical. I'm in my last week--at least my last week in the continental U.S.  I fly to Hawaii on Saturday for a retreat on welcoming prayer, followed by a week with my family to explore a bit of Hawaii's rich history and landscape. I'll be back at the church on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. The transition has begun.


But maybe the transition never ended. One thing I've become more aware of during these past few months is that every day is full of transitions. It's how you practice them that matters. 


In yoga classes the teachers often tell us to shift from one pose to another with as little unnecessary movement as possible. To be sure we're stable before we move. To pay attention as we lift our right foot from a standing position back to a lunge position. To land lightly.




"Every step is a step of faith," one yoga teacher said.  That's how I intend to practice the steps of my transition: with faith in the God whose love, unchanging day to day from the beginning, created the ground beneath my feet.

2 comments:

  1. Susan,
    It is never too late to benefit from something as special as your blog. The best of intentions are swept away as I let the routine expectations of life and the ever intruding events of most days keep me from time to rest and reflect. Today I have decided to read and write from home. The first thing I did was to log onto your blog. I refuse to lament that I did not do this sooner but I am going to spend time reading your blog from beginning to end before doing any thing else this morning. It will be a day devoted to "transition". Thanks, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, Susan. Such rich and resonant language. It is raining today here in Chapel Hill and I was thinking about your post on rain, coming to search for it and finding this post that I had missed. I hope you are having a glorious time in Hawaii.

    And I love the idea of shifting from one activity, even one thought, to another with as little movement (drama!) as possible.

    ReplyDelete